Cycling is my gym!
To be fit and healthy you need to be physically active. Regular physical activity can help protect you from serious diseases such as heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes and arthritis but also help you tackle obesity. Riding your bicycle regularly is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle. Cycling is a healthy, low-impact exercise that can be enjoyed by people of all ages . It is fun, cheap and good for the environment. Riding to work or the shops is one of the most time-efficient ways to combine your everyday routine with regular exercise.
Approximately one billion people ride bicycles every day – for transport, recreation and sport – so come on and join the movement if you haven’t already!
Cycling for health & fitness
It only takes 2-4 hours a week to achieve a general improvement to your health. Cycling is:
· Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries than other forms of exercise.
· A good muscle workout– pedalling uses all of the major muscle groups.
· Easy – High level of physical skill not required! Once you know how to ride a bike you won’t forget. If you never learnt how to ride a bike or are a bit rusty, get in touch with us on GreenHealth@dvva.scot and we will link you up with a local activity or some road skills training (adults only).
· Good for strength & stamina– increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
· As intense as you want – from very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, to a demanding physical workout – cycling is whatever you want it to be.
· A fun way to get fit – the adventure and buzz you get from riding down hills and being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly, compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
· Time-efficient – as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trams, trains or buses with lots of fun and fresh air.
Cycling regularly boosts your health:
· Increases cardiovascular fitness
· Increases muscle strength and flexibility
· Improves joint mobility
· Reduces stress
· Improves posture and coordination
· Stronger bone
· Decreases body fat levels
· Prevents or helps managing disease
· Better mood
To find out where to go cycling check out Dundee’s cycling map or join one of Dundee’s many cycling projects